Recent Why SERVPRO Posts
SERVPRO can help when your home in Niles, MI has a kitchen fire
Don't attempt to clean the fire yourself. Call SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties.
A kitchen fire, regardless of the size, can be overwhelming for you. Understandably, you want to regain control quickly. Trained in the cleanup and care of your home and personal belongings, SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties arrives onsite within four hours of notification to begin mitigation services understanding the need you may feel to maintain a sense of control during a fire damage situation. Communicating the extent of damage, indicating how the damage may be handled and providing reassurance are some of the initial steps taken to help begin the restoration process.
UNTIL HELP ARRIVES
- Limit movement to prevent further damage
- Place clean towels or old linens on carpeted traffic areas to prevent additional soiling
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open
- Clean and protect chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets and appliances with a light coating of petroleum jelly to prevent corrosion.
When fire damage invades your home, contact SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties at 269-273-8777. We make fire damage “Like it never even happened.”
Let SERVPRO help when your Dowagiac, MI home is damaged by fire.
A faulty electrical panel was the cause of this Dowagiac, MI fire damage.
A faulty electrical panel in this Dowagiac, MI home was the cause of this fire damaged garage. This picture shows the amount of damage a fire can do. The fire department was on the scene in 4 minutes and the fire still did this amount of damage. When a fire strikes your home or business in Dowagiac, MI call SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties to make it "Like it never even happened." Our IICRC certified staff has been through advanced training to determine what can be salvaged after a fire such as the one depicted in the picture. Within days of this fire occurring we had the home contained from any more smoke or fire damage and the garage demolished and removed. Call SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties at 269-273-8777.
Have SERPVRO on speed dial during frozen pipe season
A pipe connected to the sump pump froze and cracked causing major damage.
It's that time of year again!! November through late March is the time of year when pipes can freeze and burst! Here are a few simple tips to prepare your home or business for winter weather!
-If you have a second home and don't plan on being there in the winter. Call a local licensed plumber and have them winterize your home
-Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells
-Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets, especially if the pipes for faucets run through unheated areas of the home.
-Consider shutting off outside faucets.
-If you leave for multiple days at a time, always keep your thermostat above 60 degrees to keep outside walls from getting too cold.
Call SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties to make your water damage "Like it never even happened."
Call SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties when you have water damage to your Cassopolis, MI home
Insulated your water heater can help in the cold winter months but water damage can strike at any time.
Leaks within a home or business can cause extensive damage if unnoticed for a long period of time. Leaking water can seep into flooring, carpets, baseboard and walls while moving throughout the structure of the home. Such a leak not only damages your property, it can also interrupt your day-to-day schedule.
Since one out of every ten water incidents in a home is caused by a water heater, below are some tips and tricks to help provide some peace of mind:
- Before doing any maintenance on your water heater, shut off the power at the service panel
- Once every three months, drain one gallon of water from the tank. If you have hard water, do this every month to reduce sediment collecting in the bottom of the tank.
- Once every two years, have your water heater inspected by a service technician.
- Once every five years, have a service technician replace the anode rod.
If you didn’t get to these tips fast enough and have suffered from water damage, call SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties at 269-273-8777. We make water damage “Like it never even happened.”
Why use SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties?
This sump pump backed up causing major water damage to this Edwardsburg, MI home
If you have a damp basement or live in an area prone to flooding, you know that dealing with water damage can be a homeowner’s worst nightmare. If your home has a wet basement, you’re not alone. The American Society of Home Inspectors estimates that more than 60 percent of homes have issues with water in the basement. A sump pump can be an effective option for preventing water damage.
Installed in a pit in the basement, these units sense when the water from rain or snow melt is rising in the pit and approaching the floor level. The incoming water is then pumped outside before it can damage the home or its furnishings. Sump pumps are relatively low-maintenance devices, but you can help keep your unit operational by inspecting it regularly. Steps in a regular maintenance program can include:
- Check the discharge line to make sure it is not stopped up or frozen. If necessary, unclog the air vent hole in the line.
- Check the inlet screen to ensure that it’s not clogged with any residue or debris.
- Making sure the float component is unobstructed and can move smoothly.
- Scan the pit and remove any visible debris, mud, or stones.
- Test the pump by slowly pouring a bucket of water into the pit. The float should rise with the water level, triggering the unit to start pumping. If pumping doesn’t begin, check to see that the unit is plugged in. Your float switch or check valve may also be at fault.
- Go outside to see that water is discharging and flowing where it’s supposed to go – well away from your home.
Why you use SERVPRO at your water damaged home
This basement was affected by a pipe break.
Has your basement been affected by a water damage? Do you know what your steps to recovery are? Should you clean up the damage yourself? If your Edwardsburg, MI home has been affected by water damage the answer to your problems is easy. Call SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties and let our certified water damage technician alleviate your water damage concerns. Our highly trained staff has the professionalism and knowledge to take care of your water damaged basement. SERVPRO has a service response guideline of 1-4-8. Within 1 hour from the first notice of loss we will contact you to arrange services. Within 4 hours of the loss a SERVPRO professional will be on site to start the mitigation process. Within 8 business hours we will give a verbal briefing to the appropriate person for your claim.