Recent Storm Damage Posts
The 4-1-1 on Tornadoes in Colon, MI
Tornadoes can strike at any time. Call SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties for assistance at (269) 273-8777.
Here at SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties, we are most well-known for our water mitigation expertise, along with our fire restoration services. However, our team specializes in so much more! In any given situation, we want to help people in any way that we can! After natural disasters, such as tornadoes, our team is always ready to jump into action.
The fact of the matter is this; we live in area that is at risk for tornadoes. It is important to us that you know how to prepare yourself for a disaster in order to ensure your family’s safety. Here are a few steps you can take to prepare yourself.
- Know the difference between a tornado watch and a tornado warning. A tornado watch means that severe weather conditions have the potential to produce a tornado. This means you should be prepped and ready in case of funnel formation. A tornado warning means that a tornado has been spotted or indicated on the system radar.
- Include your pets in your plan! Your pets need protection from harm as well. It can be helpful to have pet food and water available to them, as well as a blanket or toys to keep them calm and occupied.
- Have nonperishable foods and water in your place of shelter. In case, you need to stay sheltered for an extended period of time, you’ll want to have everything you might need handy.
- Have activities set aside for children. The need to shelter in place could last a while. Having activities for kids will keep them occupied.
In case of tornado:
- SEEK SHELTER IMMEDIATELY. Do not hesitate. Gather your family and head to the basement. If you do not have a basement, move to an interior room in the house and stay clear of windows.
- Be sure to cover your head. This will help protect you from debris that may be flying around.
- Do not leave your source of shelter. Tornadoes can be life threatening. Strong winds and flying debris is not something to play around with.
- Wait for the alert to be cleared before emerging from shelter. I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase, “its’s always calm before the storm.” Just because it doesn’t look or sound bad, does not mean it is safe.
In the event that your home is affected by a tornado, call SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties at (269) 273-8777. We can make your home, “Like it never even happened.”
The Storm In Dowagiac, MI Is Over: What Happens Now?
This Dowagiac resident, was left with standing water in her basement after a recent storm. She called SERVPRO of Cass and St. Joseph Counties to help!
For those with damage to their homes, the storm was only the beginning. Now, it has passed and they are left with the aftermath of standing water. Despite what you may think, it’s not just water.
- Water left behind by storms may contain all sorts of contaminated substances such as sewage, bits of debris, and harmful bacteria. This creates the perfect environment for microbial growth if left untreated.
- Water is also a conductor of electricity. Standing water paired with downed power lines could make for a potentially dangerous situation.
- Keep in mind, large amounts of water could become home to animals as well, be sure to stay alert when cleaning up. You never know what you might uncover, hopefully not a snake!
- Always remember, if it’s NOT safe for you, it’s NOT safe for your pets either. Be sure to keep family pets away from standing water.
When disaster strikes your Dowagiac, MI home have no fear, SERVPRO of Cass and St. Joseph Counties are here to help! Water damage often takes several days to clean up, let us take the weight off your shoulders. Here at SERVPRO of Cass and St. Joseph Counties, we are experts at restoring your home. In fact, you may say it’s “Like it never even happened.” Call us at (269) 273-8777.
Winter Storm Preparedness in Cass County
Winter in Michigan can be pretty unpredictable. Like the old saying goes:
“If you don’t like the weather, wait five minutes.”
The National Severe Storms Laboratory categorizes a winter storm as having snow, sleet, or freezing rain. In Michigan, we can see any of this type of precipitation. When the temperature is below and precipitation is in the forecast, that’s when our office knows what types of calls we’ll be getting: water damages.
How Water Pipes Freeze and Break
Water damage during a winter storm happens when your pipes freeze. When water freezes, it expands and creates pressure inside the pipe, which can cause it to break. The pipes that are most likely to freeze are those outside the home that are exposed. Other vulnerable pipes are those indoors that don’t have access to heat, like those under your kitchen cabinets or in the garage.
Indoor Frozen Pipe Prevention
- Before temperatures reach freezing, insulate exposed and vulnerable pipes. You can do this by installing pipe sleeves or even wrapping the pipes with newspaper.
- Close the garage door to prevent cold air from coming in.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinets to allow warm air to circulate around the pipes.
- Keep your home heated above 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
Call SERVPRO of Cass and St. Joseph Counties at (269) 273-8777 for your water restoration needs! We make water damage “Like it never even happened.”
Storm Season in Sturgis, Michigan
When mother nature strikes, let SERVPRO of Cass and St. Joseph Counties strike back!
Severe flooding is one of the most devastating natural disasters for a home or business owner because of the level of destruction it creates. Not only do floods destroy property, they bring contaminants into the home, making it unsafe and unlivable until properly inspected and cleaned.
Heavy rains can be potentially harmful to your homes structure. Once the ground is completely saturated, the water that is not absorbed has nowhere to go, forcing it to invade your home. Water seeps into the walls and foundation of the home causing significant damage, and if left untreated can lead to mold growth. Quick reaction time is crucial in these devastating events.
SERVPRO of Cass and St. Joseph Counties is trained and equipped for these natural disasters and is available 24/7. Call us today at (269) 273-8777 if your home has suffered storm damages. Our goal is to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Wind and Storm Damage in Cass County
When mother nature strikes, call SERVPRO of Cass and St. Joseph Counties!
Property damage caused by severe weather can be devastating to your family or business, and repairing it can be a complex undertaking. To get storm damage repair completed quickly and safely, you need a restoration service company that specializes in bringing your home back to its preloss condition.
SERVPRO of Cass and St. Joseph Counties provides specialized emergency cleanup and restoration services to bring your property back to normal with minimal interruption. We can handle any damage due to severe weather, including:
- Lightning Strikes
- Tornadoes and high winds
- Hail and ice storms
- Freezing weather and ice dams
When mother nature hits hard, Call SERVPRO of Cass and St. Joseph Counties at (269) 273-8777 to get help fast! We make storm damage “Like it never even happened.”
April Showers Bring... Water Damage?
Rain or shine, SERVPRO of Cass and St. Joseph Counties always has the time!
Four days of off and on showers might be great for May flowers; however, they can also bring flooding and water into your basement. This Marcellus, Michigan homeowner replaced their sump pump just days before it began to rain. Melting snow and over 8 inches of rain was just too much for this newly serviced sump pump to control. Water began flowing through the structure of the home, flooding the basement and its contents.
Timely mitigation is the key to controlling damage, downtime and recovery costs. Following our 1-4-8 Service Response Guidelines, SERVPRO of Cass and St. Joseph Counties arrived on-site within the hour to inspect and test the damaged area to determine the extent of damage and how far the moisture had traveled to ensure proper and complete restoration.
Call SERVPRO of Cass and St. Joseph Counties today at (269) 273-8777 for any of your water restoration needs! We make water damage “Like it never even happened.”
Protecting your Burr Oak, Michigan home from lightning
When lightning strikes, call SERVPRO of Cass and St. Joseph Counties at (269) 273-8777. We make storm damage "Like it never even happened."
There are up to 20 million lightning strikes each year in the United States. Power surges during a storm can damage the electronics in your home and potentially ignite an electrical fire. Since storms often come without warning, it is important to take the necessary steps in protecting your home and belongings:
- Lightning protection systems intercept lightning strikes and provide a grounding path for dangerous electricity to discharge safely, leaving occupants and homes safe from harm.
- Panel box surge protective devices serve as the first line of defense against harmful home electrical surges, limiting voltages by diverting currents at the electrical service entrance.
- Point of use surge protectors protect electronics plugged into the device from surges, must be replaced over time or after a major surge event
- Power strips do not provide surge protection
- No surge device can handle a direct lightning strike. Unplug sensitive electronics well before a storm to prevent damage
Protecting your Colon, Michigan home from winter storms
SERVPRO of Cass and St. Joseph Counties doesn't take snow days! Call us today at (269) 273-8777
Winter weather is difficult to predict and can cause a lot of damage if not properly prepared. Using these tips, you can help protect your home from some of these costly winter storm damages:
- Take care of your roof – Keep gutters cleaned, trees trimmed, replace any necessary siding or roof flashing and repair your chimney (if necessary).
- Prevent ice dams from forming – Eliminate heat sources under your roofing, keep the attic ventilated, invest in a roof rake to remove snow, avoid trying to chip off any ice dams that may have already formed and talk to your roof specialist about sealing the roof with a moisture barrier.
- Prevent water damage- Insulate any exposed pipes, caulk any cracks or holes in the outer walls or foundation of the home, open bathroom and kitchen cabinets to allow heat to circulate the pipes, trickle water through the faucets that run through any unheated areas of the home and if you plan to leave the home unoccupied, shut off the main water valve and have a professional drain the system.
- Clear walkways and driveways – Keep walkways, steps and driveways clear of snow and ice and treat these areas with salt or de-icing products.
If your home has suffered winter storm damage, call SERVPRO of Cass and St. Joseph Counties at 269-273-8777. We make storm damage “Like it never even happened.”
The aftermath of recent storms in Parkville, Michigan
Recent storms caused lightning to strike this Parkville, Michigan home directly.
According to the National Fire Protection Association lightning causes an average of about 24,600 fires each year and costs about $407 million in damages, and this Parkville home was unfortunate to fall victim to these statistics. Recent storms caused lightning to strike the home directly, igniting a fire that was just too much to control.
When storms hit Cass & St. Joseph Counties, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,700 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States. If you experience a natural catastrophe call SERVPRO of Cass and St. Joseph Counties at 269-273-8777, where we make storm damage “Like it never even happened.”
Storm cleanup in Dowagiac, Michigan
Heavy rain caused this Dowagiac, Michigan basement to flood in just 24 hours
Heavy rain from recent storms caused this Dowagiac, Michigan basement to flood. Over 6 inches of rain in 24 hours was just too much for this home to handle. In this instance, the rain was so aggressive that it was running out of areas to go, causing it to penetrate through the concrete foundation of the home and damage anything in its path.
Natural disasters do not just affect a home and its contents but families too. Our number one goal is restoring both the property and the lives of the customers being helped. If a natural disaster damages your home, no need to rent a wet/dry vac. Call SERVPRO of Cass and St. Joseph Counties at 269-273-8777 where we make storm damage "Like it never even happened."
Massive storm caused this White Pigeon home to flood
This crawlspace flooded due to major storms producing heavy rains
An unexpected massive summer storm can bring heavy rain and damaging winds at any time. 8 inches of rain fell in a 36 hour period and for this unfortunate White Pigeon, Michigan homeowner it caused their crawlspace to flood. If you have issues with rain water infiltrating your basement or crawlspace be sure to check the grade of the ground outside your home and check that your gutters are clean of leaves and debris. Fixing these two simple issues can help reduce water from getting in your basement or crawlspace during heavy rains. If this happens to you, call SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties to extract the water and start the drying process to prevent further damage from happening. SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties can help make it "Like it never even happened."
Heavy rains flooded this Edwardsburg, Michigan basement.
This Edwardsburg basement flooded due to the 8 inches of rain that fell in a 36 hour time period.
Heavy rains in October caused this Edwardsburg, Michigan basement to flood. During a storm in October over 8 inches of rain fell in a 36 hour time period. Unfortunately when this happens the water runs out of areas to go. In some homes, the water penetrates through the concrete foundation causing water damage. This particular storm came through on a Saturday night. Disasters don't strike your Edwardsburg home or business during "regular business hours" they can happen at any time. SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph counties is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our highly trained and dedicated staff will be there to help whenever a disaster strikes your home or business. SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties where we make water and fire damage "Like it never even happened."
Remember to stay clear of flood waters. Flood waters can contain debris, chemicals, sewage, and many other things.
Flooding can happen anywhere in the United Sates. SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties wants to help keep you and your family safe. Types of flood hazards that could happen in Michigan include flash floods, river floods, snowmelt, and dam breaks. NOAA provides several tips for before, during, and after a flood.
Getting Ready Before a Flood
- Create communication plans with family
- Have an emergency kit handy
- Make sure your electronics are charged
During a Flood
- Stay informed
- Avoid flood waters
- Obey evacuation orders
- Get to high ground
After a Flood
- Contact family and loved ones
- Wait for the “All Clear”
- Avoid disaster areas
The last major flood here in Michigan was the Grand River Flood of 2013 according to the National Weather Service. The Grand River flood closed over 300 roads and over 1200 homes were flooded.
For more information, visit http://www.floodsafety.noaa.gov/index.shtml.
Preparing for Tornado Weather in Niles, MI
If you experience storm damage to your home or business, don't worry! SERVPRO can assist with all of your storm damage needs in Niles.
Tornado Watch Verse Tornado Warning
It’s important to know the difference between a tornado watch and a tornado warning. A tornado watch is issued to alert people that there is a possibility of tornado development in your area. A tornado warning is issued when a tornado has been sighted or indicated by radar.
You should always have an emergency disaster kit handy in case of any tornadoes or storm damage. This kit can include:
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Bottled water
- Extra clothing
- Canned or nonperishable food
- Battery operated radio
You can also prepare for tornadoes by having an emergency plan. This plan is put in place in case you and your family are not together during the storm. The plan would include a safe location you and your family can meet at after the storm passes.
Preparing for Severe Weather in Three Rivers, Michigan
If severe weather strikes your home, remember that SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties is here to help you weather the storm in Three Rivers.
Thunderstorm season is fast approaching us here in West Michigan. It’s important to stay safe in these times of severe weather. Thanks to the national weather service, we are able to give you tips that help you prepare for this season ahead.
What to do before a thunderstorm:
- Check the forecast regularly to see if you are at risk of severe weather.
- Sign up for weather alerts or notifications.
- Create a communication plan with your family that includes your emergency meeting place.
- Practice your plan with your family.
- Prepare your home by keeping the trees trimmed near your house.
- Encourage your neighbors to prepare for server thunderstorm weather.
If you’d like to read more about how you can prepare for severe thunderstorms check out nws.noaa.gov
Taking Proper Steps to Restore your Vicksburg Home after Water Damage
SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties doesn't skip a beat when it comes to restoring your home.
SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties takes the proper steps to restore your home after a storm causes water damage. The following steps may be completed if applicable.
Identify Source- we will check the source of moisture and make sure the source is stopped. The source needs to be stopped for any restoration or drying can be successful.
Identify Type of Water- we will identify the category and classification of water damage to ensure we restore your property based on guidelines. The level of contamination will affect what restoration process we use.
Survey Extent of Damage and Inspect the Premises- we inspect and test the damaged area to see the extent of the damage and how far the moisture has traveled. In addition, we will also inspect for any safety concerns which may be evident.
Identify Signs of Visible Mold Growth- visible mold growth or musty orders may indicate the source of a moisture or water intrusion.
Furniture Moved and Blocked in Place- we move furniture and block items to help prevent rust or furniture stains on wet carpet.
Emergency Water Extraction- we remove as much excess water as possible from the damaged area.
Carpet Pad- we check the carpet pad to see if it should be removed to save or protect the subfloor.
Treatments- our crew may utilize deodorizers or EPA-registered disinfectant as antimicrobial treatments.
Disposal- we will remove damaged materials with guidance from you and your adjuster.
Floor and Wall Inspection- we check the extent of wet flooring, subfloors, and walls.
Measure Temperature/Humidity for Drying Analysis- we monitor the temperature and humidity levels to make sure the conditions are appropriate for drying.
Equipment- drying equipment removes moisture and brings the relative humidity levels back to normal.
Niles Residents: SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties is Faster to Any Disaster
SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties responds to your disaster 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Restoring your home or business through mitigation is less expensive than replacing everything. The faster SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties arrives to your property to perform water cleanup the better the results. Mitigation requires quick action. Here are some of the ways SERVPRO can help you save money:
- Emergency Mitigation Services help minimize additional damages that may happen to your property.
- SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties use specialized testing equipment to determine any hidden water.
- Restoring your items and property rather than replacing them can not only save family heirlooms but money too.
- Our crew uses advanced drying technology and techniques to ensure your property is properly dried.
Our crews experience, training, and equipment makes your water damage Like it never even happened.
Water or Flood Damage? Call Today – (269) 273-8777
Sewage Backup in Three Rivers, MI
Strong storms with heavy rains caused a sewage backup in this Three Rivers home.
The water from sewer backups can be unsanitary and may contain bacteria and viruses. SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties is trained to inspect the contaminated water and plan the appropriate response for your home. We remove the contaminants and moisture to help ensure the structure is properly cleaned, disinfected, and deodorized. You can breathe easy knowing our 1-4-8 response guidelines.
1-4-8 Service Response Guidelines
- Within one hour from notice of loss, SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties will contact you to arrange for service.
- Within four hours of loss notification, one of our crew members will be on-site to start mitigation services (if necessary)
- Within eight business hours of on-site arrival, a verbal briefing of the scope will be communicated to the appropriate person
Sewage Backup or Toilet Overflow? Call SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties Today – (269) 273-8777
Strong Storms causes Mold Growth in Three Rivers, MI
A strong storm caused mold growth in this commercial building.
Restoring storm- and flood-damaged properties is the cornerstone of our business. Our highly trained professionals use specialized equipment and advanced training to quickly restore your property to pre-storm condition. SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties is dedicated to responding immediately, which helps to minimize secondary damage.
Any home or commercial property can quickly become infested with mold if a source of water is present. Mold can spread throughout a property in as little as 48 hours. Since mold can produce allergens and irritants, you should call SERVPRO of Cass &. Joseph Counties to inspect your home if you suspect you have a mold problem. If mold is found, SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties has the training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today at (269-273-8777)
When Storms or Floods hit Cass & St. Joseph Counties, SERVPRO is ready!
Our highly trained crews are ready to respond 24/7 to storm or flood damage in Cass & St. Joseph Counties.
SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Cass & St. Joseph Counties, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today at (269-273-8777)
Heavy Storm Damage in Three Rivers MI
Due to a large storm and heavy winds this tree landed on a roof and caused major water damage and structural damage.
Restoring storm- and flood-damaged properties is the cornerstone of our business. Our highly trained professionals use specialized equipment and advanced training to quickly restore your Three Rivers property to pre-storm condition. We’re dedicated to responding immediately, which helps to minimize secondary damage. SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties had the tree removed from the roof on the same day and had the interior inspection done and updated to the insurance company by the end of the same day.
Due to the rain after the tree fell on the roof, the rain water infiltrated the interior walls, ceiling and floor. SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties removed the necessary structure components and started the drying process. Within 3 days of the tree falling on the roof, SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties had the structure cleaned, dried and ready for construction.