Fire Prevention in Three Rivers, Michigan
SERVPRO of Cass and St. Joseph Counties has been teaming up with the local Three Rivers Fire Department since 2011 to donate free smoke detectors and spread fire prevention awareness to the community.
Smoke alarms play a vital role in saving lives, and when properly installed, can reduce the risk of fire injury in half. The National Fire Protection Association recommends that smoke alarms be installed in every bedroom, outside all sleeping quarters and on every level of the house. Business owners should consult the local Fire Marshall to ensure specific building fire codes and smoke detector requirements are met.
Review the following tips regarding smoke detector installation and maintenance:
- -Install smoke alarms on every level of the home including the basement.
- Smoke alarms should be installed away from the kitchen to prevent false alarms. Generally, they should be at least 10 feet from a cooking appliance.
- -Test smoke alarms at least once a month using a test button.
- -Replace batteries in all smoke alarms at least once a year. If an alarm "chirps" the battery is low and should be replaced right away.
- -Replace all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old.
Call SERVPRO of Cass and St. Joseph Counties at (269) 273-8777 to learn more about fire prevention!