The 4-1-1 on Tornadoes in Colon, MI
Here at SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties, we are most well-known for our water mitigation expertise, along with our fire restoration services. However, our team specializes in so much more! In any given situation, we want to help people in any way that we can! After natural disasters, such as tornadoes, our team is always ready to jump into action.
The fact of the matter is this; we live in area that is at risk for tornadoes. It is important to us that you know how to prepare yourself for a disaster in order to ensure your family’s safety. Here are a few steps you can take to prepare yourself.
- Know the difference between a tornado watch and a tornado warning. A tornado watch means that severe weather conditions have the potential to produce a tornado. This means you should be prepped and ready in case of funnel formation. A tornado warning means that a tornado has been spotted or indicated on the system radar.
- Include your pets in your plan! Your pets need protection from harm as well. It can be helpful to have pet food and water available to them, as well as a blanket or toys to keep them calm and occupied.
- Have nonperishable foods and water in your place of shelter. In case, you need to stay sheltered for an extended period of time, you’ll want to have everything you might need handy.
- Have activities set aside for children. The need to shelter in place could last a while. Having activities for kids will keep them occupied.
In case of tornado:
- SEEK SHELTER IMMEDIATELY. Do not hesitate. Gather your family and head to the basement. If you do not have a basement, move to an interior room in the house and stay clear of windows.
- Be sure to cover your head. This will help protect you from debris that may be flying around.
- Do not leave your source of shelter. Tornadoes can be life threatening. Strong winds and flying debris is not something to play around with.
- Wait for the alert to be cleared before emerging from shelter. I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase, “its’s always calm before the storm.” Just because it doesn’t look or sound bad, does not mean it is safe.
In the event that your home is affected by a tornado, call SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties at (269) 273-8777. We can make your home, “Like it never even happened.”