September: National Preparedness Month
Want to keep up with the latest tips and advice? Follow our Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/SERVPROcassstjoe/
Our Facebook page has been filled with tips, tricks, and truths to get you more prepared this month. Here is what we have covered so far via Facebook for National Preparedness Month:
- Did you know? To minimize the damage from wildfires and winds, remove dead trees and limbs from around your home or building.
- The question was asked, “When floodwater is present in your home, should you turn off the power?” The answer is, “In the event of incoming flood waters, you should turn off your power but ONLY if your floor is clear of standing water.”
- Did you know? Most foods – meat, poultry, fish, dairy and cooked leftovers – are safe to eat for up to 4 hours from the time the power in your refrigerator goes out. After that, it’s time to discard.
Don't Attempt to Suck up Water with your Household Vacuum
Don't ruin your vacuum! Let us do the dirty work for you.
If you have standing water, don’t attempt to vacuum it up with your household vacuum. Regular vacuum cleaners weren’t intended to pick up water. Trying to suck up the water can cause damage to your machine. If you don’t own a wet/dry vacuum cleaner and you have standing water in your home or business, don’t worry!
SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties uses extractors to remove excess water from floors following a flood, storm, or even a busted pipe. Our extractors are mounted to the truck or portable to allow better access inside structures. When the water is extracted quickly, the area can usually be dried much quicker.
Effective and Efficient Drying
Not only do we extract the water but we ensure everything has been dried thoroughly. We have drying down to a science... literally. The properties of temperature, humidity, vapor pressure, and dew point are measured to evaluate air conditions which help our technicians create the proper atmosphere for more efficient drying.
American Red Cross
SERVPRO has been a national sponsor of the American Red Cross Ready Rating™ program since 2013.
5 Reasons to Support the American Red Cross
- With the help of 4 million people, they can provide more than 40% of America’s blood supply each year.
- Red Cross CPR training helps save lives of people and pets.
- They served more than 68 million snack and hot meals after Hurricane Katrina, Rita, Wilma, and Sandy.
- Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies support 97 million volunteers in 186 countires who are ready to help.
- The Red Cross Helps nearly 150,000 military families and veterans annually with emergency communications and access to community resources.
SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties are proud supporters of the American Red Cross.
To learn more about the American Red Cross, visit http://www.redcross.org/about-us/who-we-are/mission-and-values
Remember to stay clear of flood waters. Flood waters can contain debris, chemicals, sewage, and many other things.
Flooding can happen anywhere in the United Sates. SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties wants to help keep you and your family safe. Types of flood hazards that could happen in Michigan include flash floods, river floods, snowmelt, and dam breaks. NOAA provides several tips for before, during, and after a flood.
Getting Ready Before a Flood
- Create communication plans with family
- Have an emergency kit handy
- Make sure your electronics are charged
During a Flood
- Stay informed
- Avoid flood waters
- Obey evacuation orders
- Get to high ground
After a Flood
- Contact family and loved ones
- Wait for the “All Clear”
- Avoid disaster areas
The last major flood here in Michigan was the Grand River Flood of 2013 according to the National Weather Service. The Grand River flood closed over 300 roads and over 1200 homes were flooded.
For more information, visit http://www.floodsafety.noaa.gov/index.shtml.
Outdoor Grilling Safety Tips for Cassopolis Residents
Stay safe this July with these grilling safety tips.
Did you know that on average 8,900 home fires are started by grills each year? According to the National Fire Protection Association, July is the peak month for grill fires. SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties wants to keep you and your family safe this summer. Here are some outdoor grilling safety tips.
- Always supervise a barbecue grill when in use
- Make sure people and pets stay away from the grill
- Use a long-handled tools made for cooking on the girl
- Keep your grill at least 10 feet away from your house
- Clean the grill regularly
- Be prepared to put out the fire
- Check grill for any leaks
Every fire damage situation is a little different and requires a unique solution. If you have questions about fire, smoke, or soot Damage, Call Us Today – (269) 273-8777
Preventing Water Damage in your White Pigeon Home
If you do find water damage in your White Pigeon home, no worries! SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties are water damage restoration specialists.
Preventing Water Damage Tips:
- Repair peeling paint around doors and windows. Peeling paint can be a sign of water seeping into the wood.
- Check for roof leaks around chimneys, plumbing vents, and attic vents. Trace the source of a ceiling leak by measuring its position from the nearest outside wall and then locate this point in the attic using a measuring tape.
- Make sure your air conditioner’s drain pan drains easily, is adequately sloped toward the outlets, and that there is no standing water. Drain pans typically overflow the first time the unit is turned on.
- Keep an eye on your water bill. A jump in your water bill could mean you have a leak somewhere.
Need Water Damage or Flood Cleanup Services?
Call Us Today – (269) 273-8777
Happy 4th of July! Remember to Practice Firework Safety
Remember your safety tips!
SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties wants you to stay safe this 4th of July. Here are some firework safety tips to remember while you are enjoying your holiday!
Firework Safety Tips:
- Avoid buying fireworks that are packaged in a brown paper. The brown paper is often a sign that they were made for professional displays and could pose a danger to consumers.
- Place sparklers into a bucket of water after use. Sparklers still remain hot for a while after the flame has gone out.
- Don’t let children pick up firework pieces after an event. These pieces may still be ignited and can explode at any time.
- Make sure everyone is out of the way and out of range when lighting off fireworks.
Has Your Sturgis Business Had Their Carpets Cleaned Yet?
Leave it to SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties to get your carpets looking as good as new!
It is a good rule-of-thumb to have your carpets professionally cleaned at least once or twice a year. How often you get them cleaned is going to depend on the color, traffic, and soil build-up of your carpets. Carpets are known to trap dust, dirt, gasses, pet hair, and other soils. We recommend that don’t wait till your carpet looks really dirty before cleaning. Since the dirt builds up in layers, you don’t want the dirt hiding below the surface to become lodged and damage your carpet. SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties offers multiple cleaning options that fit your upholstery or carpet in your business. Some of our specialized cleaning methods include:
- Bonnet Cleaning: A less aggressive method for short piled carpets.
- Hot Water Extraction: A deeper cleaning method for all carpet types.
- Deluxe Precondition and Rinse: Helps restore deeply soiled areas.
- Showcase Premier Cleaning: The most thorough cleaning method in the industry.
- Dry Cleaning: When color-fastness is an issue.
Need Carpet or Upholstery Cleaning?
Call Today – (269) 273-8777
Trauma and Crime Scene Cleanup in Three Rivers, MI
SERVPRO has the specialized training, protective equipment, and experience to safely clean trauma and crime scenes in Three Rivers, MI.
Many crime scenes contain blood or other biohazards that pose a serious health risk. SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties responds immediately to safely clean the crime scene. After the police have finished processing the crime scene or accident, SERVPRO can begin the cleaning and restoration process of the following:
- Evidence-gathering chemicals used by detectives and law enforcement
- Fire extinguisher residue
- Blood, tissue remnants, and bodily fluids
- Pepper spray and tear gas residues
After a crime or death, our team will remove and dispose of bodily fluids or other potentially pathogenic substances. Our trained technicians follow OSHA and EPA protocols to get your environment back to being clean and safe. Our employees understand that these are not easy times and will always treat the people involved with empathy and respect.
Need Trauma or Crime Scene Cleanup? Call Today – (269) 273-8777
Three Rivers Residents: Are Your Pets Included in Your Emergency Plans?
Being prepared is key!
Preparing for your pets!
It's important to remember if it's not safe for you, it's not safe for them either.
- Make sure your cats and dogs are wearing collars with current identification information.
- Include your pets in your evacuation drills so they become used to traveling in their carriers.
- Check to see that your pet’s vaccinations are up-to-date. Those records should be kept in an easily accessible place.
- Prepare a list of emergency lodging for pets.
- Look for pet friendly hotels in case you can no longer stay in your home.
- Have a current photo of your pet for identification purposes.
- Make a pet emergency kit that may include food, dishes, medications, or veterinarian records.
Fire damage can be devastating for you and your family. We know how important it is to keep your family and pet's safe! If your family does experience a fire, we have many tips on our website of what to do, and what not to do after a fire.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call SERVPRO of Cass & St. Joseph Counties (269) 273-8777